GROWSAFE Certificates


There has been many changes to agrichemical training and certification requirements in recent years, as well as changes to the Growsafe certificates we offer.  We have developed a number of decision trees to help you identify the appropriate certification for your activity and level of responsibility.

Read more »


A practical course for those working under supervision and first-time agrichemical users who need practical training. A new course available from 1 January 2018.

Read more »



The GROWSAFE  Standard course is primarily about the safe use of agrichemicals – learning how to protect people, animals, the environment and to ensure food safety.  This training is for agrichemical users who are working independently (ie with little or no supervision) and who may have responsibility for managing or supervising others.  A new course available from 1 January 2018.

Read more »


The GROWSAFE Theory certificate is designed for those working in management or planning roles rather than hands on spraying.  It is also suitable for those who use contractors to undertake the majority of their spraying but need to understand the rules and regulations in relation to agrichemical use.  It is at the same level as the Growsafe Standard certificate.


Read more »



Our Advanced course builds on the Standard certificate and is suited to managers, team leaders and decision makers who are managing large scale, complex or high risk operations.

Read more »



The Registered Chemical Applicator (RCA) course is for contractors who spray for hire or reward. Most Regional Councils require contractors to hold this certificate or an equivalent.

Read more »



The Registered Calibrator certificate is for those who are calibrating agrichemical spray equipment for hire or reward.

Read more »



This certificate is for those working in the rural retail sector and providing advice to customers on safe use of agrichemicals.

Read more »



This certificates are for those undertaking aerial application of agrichemicals:

  • Groundcrew
  • Pilot Chemical Rating
Read more »


This certificate is awarded to an organisation, rather than an individual, that has demonstrated quality systems around the use of agrichemicals.  It is mainly applicable to contract sprayers looking for a competitive edge.

Read more »


The Introductory certificate was available until 31 December 2017.  It was replaced by two certificates:

If you have a Introductory certificate and need to renew it, review the information about the two certificates to determine which certificate best suits your situation.  Or check out this decision tree to help work out what you need.

There are two ways to renew your certificate:
  • Attend a face-to-face course - see our Book a Course page for a list of trainers and upcoming Basic and Standard courses in your region.
  • Sit an online assessment – see our Online Renewal page for information on renewing online and a link to the Basic and Standard assessments.  Note that you will need a broadband internet connection.


This certificate used to be a prerequisite for the Registered Chemical Applicator (RCA) certificate.  This is no longer the case and people wishing to achieve their RCA can start work directly on their National Certificate of Agrichemical Application.