GROWSAFE Advanced Certificate
NOTE: This certificate will be available from early 2018.
Who should do this course?
This course is for owners or managers of properties and those who make decisions about the application of agrichemicals and manage or supervise others doing agrichemical application. This includes people working on farms, forests, orchards, vineyards and other industries where herbicides and other pesticides are used. The course is particularly relevant to those using motorised spray application equipment.
Benefits of the course
On successful completion of a GROWSAFE Advanced course, you will be able to:
- manage agrichemicals in accordance with NZS8409:2004
- demonstrate knowledge of agrichemicals, their mode of action and use of adjuvants
- prepare and implement a health and safety plan for a workplace using agrichemicals
- manage your obligations under the Hazardous Substance and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO), the Health and Safety at Work Act 2016 and associated regulations, the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) and the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997 (ACVM Act)
- calibrate one type of motorised equipment.
All regional plans specify that agrichemicals used in commerical operations such as farms, orchards, vineyards, forests, must be applied in accordance with NZS8409. Some plans also specify that supervisors or managers hold a GROWSAFE Applied certificate or equivalent training.
The Advanced programme consists of five modules:
- Knowledge of agrichemicals
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment
- Application (including calibration)
- Risk management
The first module is available as an e-learning package. Others are a combination of e-learning and face-to-face courses and practical exercises.
Module 4 Application (including calibration) courses are run annually in a number of locations - further details available here
along with an application form
On successful completion of the theory and practical requirements for each module you will be awarded a Module Certificate and when all five modules are complete, you will be awarded the GROWSAFE Advanced certificate, with an endorsement for the sector you work in. Depending on your trainer, you may also have achieved relevant unit standards such as: 15189, 21558, 21560, 21565.
The GROWSAFE Standard (or Introductory) certificate is a prerequisite for this course.
Expiry of Certificate and renewal
A GROWSAFE Advanced Certificate is valid for 5 years, at which time it must be renewed. This is because laws, technology and best practice are constantly changing. While you can read and hear about these changes yourself, your customers and the regulators require evidence that you are up-to-date. Renewal of your certificate must be done within 6 months of expiry of your certificate. Your Certified Handler certificate can be renewed at the same time (if required). In order to renew the certificate, an individual must undertake both theory and practical assessments.
- Either participate in an ongoing programme of industry training (recorded through the Progressive Recertification scheme), or
- Attend a GROWSAFE recognised renewal course and complete a written assessment
- Either undergo a one-off site visit by a GROWSAFE Advanced accredited trainer, or
- Undergo a site visit as part of a quality assurance programme such as GAP or SWINZ.
Getting started on Advanced training
Contact us at email@example.com to express your interest in doing this course when it becomes available.