Risks of Agrichemical Use
Agrichemicals can pose risks to:
- people (e.g. skin irritants, dust inhalation, fire/explosion)
- the environment (e.g. effects on non-target organisms) and
- food safety and market access (e.g. pesticide residues).
Risks must be assessed according to the nature of the hazard and how likely they are to occur. Risk assessment will consider all of the following:
- choice of agrichemicals and equipment
- filling, cleaning and maintenance of equipment
- handling and disposal of agrichemical packaging or any contaminated material.