Skip to main content

Product Specific Controls

Each hazard classification threshold dictates a default set of 'controls' required to safely manage that hazard, for example, tracking, approved handler, special storage and handling facilities, or a requirement for location test certificates.

The EPA has the power to vary default controls for a substance if they are considered excessive or insufficient. For example:

  • To reduce the risk of spraydrift, HiCane, a growth regulator used on kiwfruit, may only be used with air induction nozzles.
  • A small number of herbicides are approved for aquatic use. There is a long list of additional controls such as documentation, annual reporting, seeking permission prior to use, signage such as ‘Do not swim', specialised training in application of pesticide onto water.

Product labels

HSNO controls are required by law to be included on the product label.

Read the label!

It contains all the information on the controls required under the ACVM, HSW and HSNO Acts.

This information will help you use the product safely, responsibly, and effectively.

It will take time for labels to be reprinted with the correct up-to-date rules. In the meantime, you can refer to the EPA database for accurate information for any product. Or ask your supplier.


SDSs and HazNotes

Note however, that product labels do not include all the information you need. Important additional information is contained on:
  • Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and
  • HazNotes (also called Product Safety Cards or Emergency Safety Guides).
HazNotes are condensed versions of SDSs and contain product specific emergency response information for first aid, spills and fires. You should have these available at your spray shed, and when transporting agrichemicals.

Safety Data Sheets contain much more detailed product information. You are legally required to obtain Safety Data Sheets for the agrichemicals used on your property and update them when they change, or at least every five years.

You can obtain SDS and HazNotes from your chemical supplier, or download from their website or from specialist websites such as